Generally, no.

If you need confirmation that your personal contributions and your Notice of intent to claim a deduction for personal contributions has been applied to your account, you should be able to use your letter of acknowledgement for this purpose. You may also be able to use your Interim Account Activity Statement, which you can request via email ( or over the phone on 1300 658 422.

If you have withdrawn funds from your account, your benefits may be subject to tax and you should have received a Payment Summary for this